From:
Nickie Bouvier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 08:57:14 -0400
Perhaps you could also post the same exhibition/floor
directory outside the elevator, so while folks are waiting
for it to come, they can be deciding where to go once they
get in.  (If you have a slow elevator, like ours, it also
gives them something to look at while they're waiting!)
People have a short amount of time to pick a button between
the time they get on and the time it starts moving - so if
they're unfamiliar with the elevator, they try to hurry and
get confused instead of just taking the time to read the
directory.  As always, folks who aren't going to read aren't
going to read, but. . . if they were given the opportunity
to decide where they're going before they get on, it might
help.
______________
Nicole M. Bouvier
Scheduling & Exhibitor Relations Director
Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service (SITES)
202.357.3168 x120 phone
202.357.4324 fax

>We have an elevator in our museum that serves seven levels,
four of >which are public.  The other areas are keyed off.
Some floors are >designated by numbers, others by letters.

>Obviously, many people find this arrangement complicated.
We have >signs in the elevator which say to go to exhibition
X push button 1, etc.  >This does not appear to be very
effective, and people are still >confused.

>Have other people encountered similar issues, and if so
what solutions >have been attempted.