From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:19:46 -0600
I am working on an outreach program for local 4th & 5th grade students
in the public school.

With 4th - 5th Grade students, should we keep the programs simple (with
little lecture/presentation)
or more hands-on or all hands-on and no lecture?  The programs are on
settlement of the west, importance of water, archaeology, etc.

We want to keep it interesting, and do not want to put the students
(and teachers) to sleep.  So, looking
at different approaches of hands-on learning exercises to keep their
attention.  What does your museum and organization do to keep the
students listening and active (and awake)?

John
Boise, ID

p.s.  Oh! my horoscope today reads:

   Gemini - "Daily extended petty squabbles can get out of hand if you
lose sight of what's really important. It's paramount during moments
like these to keep a cool head even if others around you are intent on
losing theirs -- heck, they might be so intent it seems like they're
giving those heads away gratis. If you feel your own mental space
getting crowded or clouded, give yourself a time out and tackle this
problem when you're feeling calmer."

Good advice to all, hmm?