From:
Rebecca Born <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:55:39 -0400
I paid about 2,000 a semester. That is not astronomical, that is a wise choice. I guess I could have paid to go to GWU or somewhere, but why do that when I had quality state university programs. Are you trying to say that before fifteen years ago you could do anything with just a BA in History? I don't think that is the case. We are pursing an academic field, school is a part of that. You can't learn what you need to know in just four years, it is a life long process that involves both job experience, networking, and education.

I think the key is once again, that there are more "practical" job programs than there used to be. In the past only content degrees were available. So now we have two very different professionals. The older professional who has a strong content background and learned the practical aspects on the job and the younger professional who has studied the organizational material to death and may or may not have a strong content knowledge. We need both of these kinds of people. I refuse to be so negative to think that colleges and universities are merely money hungry beasts, they have provided ALL OF US, with invaluable knowledge and experience. (If yours didn't, you went to the wrong institution)

Rebecca R. Born
Heritage Education Coordinator
Georgia Trust For Historic Preservation
1516 Peachtree St., NW