From:
Aaron Marcavitch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 17:25:36 -0700
Ok folks,

Lets back up here.  I have four friends in NYC.  None were hurt, but they were there.  That is my
qualification statement.  Furthermore, I agree this is a horrible tragedy.  However, all the
reply's I have seen to Ms. Svensson's e-mail are a bit out of control.

I am going to say that
1. Ms. Svensson did not use obscenity, she quoted it.  That doesn't make it right, but she did say
shortly after that remark that we should make sure our facts are right before we go nuts.  Perhaps
this indicates the difference in Europe and America in our unfailing patriotism even in the face
of many facts that indicate we might not be the golden land we think we are at these times.

2. Mr. Mulligan indicated that many of the elements in the editorial are true.  I would concur.
However, the point of his e-mail was lost in the accusations.  I dont think this is appropriate.
Ms. Svensson, although it could have been done differently, was just indicating that we make sure
we check our facts.  There was no need to lash out at her.

3.  The orignal e-mail was not in reference to anything that happened on Tuesday.  It has to do
with the other countries during the Vietnam war and their opinion of that police action.  Dont
confuse the two.

4. Another point is that we haven't asked for help in this situation, but we have gotten it. The
current situation is entirely different than from the time of the original editorial.  How does
this situation have anything to do with draft-dodgers?  Do we think other countries are gloating
over our situation?  Do we really think Ms. Svensson is?  REALLY? Please people.  We are angry and
taking it out on others.  Dont do that.  Its unprofessional.

5. Lastly, and most importantly, to the original poster and to those who follow, I must ask how
this relates to museums.  I know that this list has from time to time changed topics, but I think
at this time, there is no need for this type of discussion.  Let us turn our attention to our work
and our museums.  Let us give help to those who need it on our personal time.  This list isn't for
that type of discussion.

This response will probably get me flames.  It might even cause me trouble getting a job next
year.  But I for one am a bit tired of this anger.

Thanks for listening.
Aaron Marcavitch
Tennessee