From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 08:13:03 -0700
Theresa,

Its not only that you have upholstery made of natural fibers but what
is even more important is the nature of the dyes used in the fabircs,
as their soluability to solvents will really limit what may be
possible in treatment. You can begin by cleaning with a HEPA vaccuam
with an adjustable suction capability. You probably should get in a
professional textiles conservator to do an assessment and to make
recommendations etc. If the upholstery is to be removed get someone
really experienced with historic furniture and upholstery to do it.
Give my old friend and colleague Leroy Graves at Colonial Williamsburg
a call - he's one of the best and can give you several names of
qualified people to call. You can also contact the AIC (American
Institute for Conservation) and use thier free Guide to Services to
get a referral list of conservators in your region.
(http://www.aic.stanford.edu)

Mold spores are microscopic and will never entirely go away. You will
have to control your humidity to stop continuing outbreaks and to
prevent new ones. Get some portable dehumidifiers in the room and get
that humidity down to 40% - 50% and check it a couple times a day to
make sure that you have a fairly steady RH in the room. You'll have to
adust how you use the dehumidifers as the seasons change so you don't
dry out the collection - just keep it moderate and things will be
fine.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey