From:
Audra Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:49:35 -0500
Hello Nikki
For me there are several reasons for using replicas and not the real thing.
-- I don't get caught in the cross-fire about touching this and not touching that. -- I spare myself the anguish of relegating some items to "use up" and others to "save forever" and possible subsequent indignation of donors. -- When people used these items they were new or certainly newer (for the most part anyway) than items in a history museum collection. -- to me using a reproduction is a lot cleaner and a lot clearer.

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/16/04 12:14PM >>>
Todd-

Why use replicas?  Our education collection is authentic items that have
come to the collection a variety of ways- we have a standing shopping list
at two reputable local antique dealers and a junk shop- deaccessions,
duplicate donations, etc- I personally prefer it when education uses real
items- they are worn from use and tell a more complete story than a new
reproduction ever could.

Nikkie

Nikkie Cooper, Curator
Fort Morgan Museum