From:
Audra Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:33:20 -0500
>>> [log in to unmask] 01/23/04 10:25AM >>> writes:
Another issue at hand here is the apparent ethical violations of Small, or any staff or trustee member for that matter, actively collecting objects similar to those collected by the institution for which he works.  Furthermore, that the institution exhibited the private collection of staff or trustee member also raises some serious ethical concerns.

As I understand it Mr. Small purchased these collections before become the head of the Smithsonian.  Then, too, this "ethical violation" of collecting depends upon how you collect and for whom you work. Most art museums seem to expect their employees to support the arts by purchasing pieces.  If you work at a museum that collects contemporary material, it would be very peculiar for you not to be allowed to also collect. When you work for a history museum, declaring all your collections that you had before you signed up becomes very problematic. (Maybe not if you are under 30 but for those of us over 30 listing all of our family mementoes, the trinkets we picked up before we became museum staff, and so on is pretty daunting.)  The exhibition issue differs between art museums and history museums to an extent, too.

I think terming this a "scandal" is a bit of an overstatement.  He wasn't trading on his position to acquire these items; he wasn't pilfering from the collection.

the above opinion is that of the author alone and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of her employer.