Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2017 16:05:55 -0500

PROPOSAL  DEADLINE IS FRIDAY

Join us at MPMA's Annual  Conference
in Denver, Colorado:   October 15-19,  2017
Proposal  Deadline:  January 13, 2017

proposal form here:  http://mpma.net/
Submit a proposal - Have something to  share?
Proposals now being accepted for workshops, sessions and poster  sessions

CALL-OUT FOR PANELISTS
Can't  find panelists?
Request a CALL-OUT from MPMA.  We will send an eblast for  those proposals
that need panelists.  The eblast will include a brief  description of the
session or workshop and the kind of panelists you are looking  for.  Want to
be included? Contact us: [log in to unmask]
Wanna join a panel?
Check out this request for panelists ...then contact the submitter
directly.
*Session  Title:  Wrangling Volunteer Schedules
Volunteer  scheduling can eat up a disproportionate share of time leaving
volunteer  coordinators with little time for creating a better volunteer
program. Using an  on-line scheduler can not only make the scheduling portion of
our jobs easier,  but volunteer management software (VMS) can be a low cost
way to streamline a  whole host of tasks IF you know how to use it
correctly. We will introduce  different online schedulers, and explain how they are
used at different types  and sizes of institutions. We'll then lead
attendees through the process of  setting up various functions and explaining how it
is different/better than what  we did prior to the on-line system. For
those attendees who already use a VMS  but suspect they could do more with it,
we will spend the last section of the  workshop answering their questions and
demonstrating how we use our systems to  tackle similar problems.
We'd  like to find one more facilitator with experience using an online
scheduler,  preferably NOT Volgistics such that we have multiple  views.
Contact:              Kim  Popetz, Volunteer & Events Coordinator
Historic Denver Inc.'s Molly Brown House  Museum
303-832-4092 ext.16      [log in to unmask]
*Session  - Leveraging the Experience
We are looking for a 3rd panelist to focus on successful,  experience-based
exhibits for this session. You will have approx. 20 minutes to  describe
your example, how it was developed, and audience reactions. See session
description for more info. We already have the program and event  example.
Session description:  Audiences are seeking unique  experiences, and
museums are adapting to provide them. How can museums craft  mesmerizing offerings
out of current educational content to harness this  interest? This session
will highlight exhibits, programs, and events that have  been specially
engineered to feed visitors’ hunger for experiences while still  offering
excellent, mission-driven content.
Contact:    Lauren Hunley,Education & Outreach  Coordinator
Carbon County  Museum
307-328-2740
*Collections  Management Swapmeet
Description
Want  to know where other museums get their storage materials? Or how to
create  specialty storage on a budget? Which tools should you have? How about
which  computer programs are easy and inexpensive (for you) to use? Come to
this  informal meeting to talk about it. We will share "secrets" and in-
house  do-it-yourself tips. This is not a traditional panel; instead everyone
will be  encouraged to share what has worked and what hasn't in their
collections  management endeavors. Bring your questions AND share your  expertise.

Looking for panelists to join me in this fun and VERY POPular  session.
Contact:
Jenny Yearous, Curator of Collections Mangement
State Historical Society of North Dakota
*Session  Title:  Avoiding the Pit-Falls -  State Archaeological
Collections,  Changing Practices and Challenges

Description
Mountain-plains region states have one or more designated agency or
approved deputy custodian repositories caring for archaeological collections
excavated from state, county or municipal lands. While each state approaches
archaeological collections management differently, all are experiencing unique
 challenges in terms of facilities, fees, funding, mitigation and planning
for  disasters, regulations and statewide management of these networks. This
session  aims to highlight a few of the challenges and issues that each
state is facing  in terms of archaeological collections care practices. By
sharing these issues  and each state's experiences it is hoped those in
attendance at this session  will propose solutions and share knowledge to avoid  the
most challenging  "pit-falls" to avoid a loss of control for each of our
state's archaeological  collections.
Contact:   Todd McMahon,Title:  State Curation  Coordinator
History Colorado - Office of the State  Archaeologist
*Session Title (pending): Stack the Deck in Your  Favor

Description
The  Emerging Museum Professionals co-chairs are proposing a session
designed for  EMP's of all experience levels. We would like to recruit retired  or
about-to-retire  museum professionals from the MPMA membership to discuss
what skills they found  the most valuable in their careers. What skills or
experiences should young  professionals actively pursue to make them more
marketable our competitive  profession? The title for the proposed session is
"Stack the Deck."
Contact:                        Kristin Martin   [log in to unmask]

Erin Brown     [log in to unmask]

*Session  Title (pending): Fundraising or Community Outreach or Programming
or Interactive  or   Problem Solving for ED's - let's choose one of these
Howdy, I am interested in presenting something that is specific to  small
museums.  I could do one on fundraising, community outreach,  programming or
interactive one on problem solving for ED's.  I would like 1  or 2
presenters to join me.  Any takers?? Cheers Glo  Cunningham

Contact:                       Glo Cunningham   [log in to unmask]

*Session  Title (pending):  Museum Programming for People with Special
Needs
Bethany  Cheshire  and I are  looking for folks who can talk about their
experiences creating programs or exhibits specifically with special needs in
mind.  This could be anything from autism to Alzheimer's.  If you'd  like
to participate and discuss learning theory or something related instead,  let
me know.
This presentation will discuss the challenges and  benefits in working with
people with special needs and the surprising ways in  which these
adaptations create a better museum experience for the 'normal'  museum audience.
Tentative  outline:
How  to make your museum more welcoming for people with special needs
    1.  Talk about how many people there are in the US with 'special
needs', how they are part of our audiences
    2.  Problems of access (cognitive and physical) and benefits (to
visitors and institutions) of programing that works for people with special
needs
    3.  Talk about awesome programs we know about and some basic ideas
that would work across different sized museums. - where we need  panelists.
    4.  Break into groups to brainstorm ways to make your own museum's
programs more accessible  (with worksheet and hands-on items)
    5.  Discussion
Contact:
Kristjana  Eyjólfsson, Director of Education
Historical  Museum at Fort Missoula
(406)728-3476  x. 3

*Session  Title (pending): Western Justice in Museums  FILLED
*Session  Title (pending): Unique Programming
I am interested in organizing a session dealing with the unique
programming and community connections opportunity presented by the August 21  total
eclipse. I want very much to hear from museums that are taking advantage  of
it and making connections with amateur astronomers, schools, other informal
educational organizations, hobbyists, etc. to spread their eclipse-related
programming far and wide. It will be a useful opportunity to talk about both
 what was planned and how it worked out. What was successful and what
wasn't and  what did we learn from this? And how did we make new connections that
will carry  into the future?
I'll appreciate expressions of interest in this idea soon, as there  are
only a few weeks until proposals are due.
Contact:              Mac West, [log in to unmask]
Principal at Informal Learning Experiences, Denver, CO
Robert M. West, Ph.D.
Informal Learning Experiences
Web: _www.informallearning.com_ (http://www.informallearning.com/)
Facebook: _www.facebook.com/informallearningexperiences_
(https://www.facebook.com/pages/Informal-Learning-Experiences/158537887536585)

REMEMBER:  YOU CONTACT THE CONTACT DIRECTLY TO JOIN A  PANEL.
Submit a proposal - Have something to  share?
Proposals are now being accepted for workshops, sessions and poster
sessions
PROPOSAL  DEADLINE:   January 13, 2017
Not  sure how to get started?
Check our _website_ (http://www.mpma.net/accurrent.php)  for suggested
topics
_Go here_ (http://www.mpma.net/accurrent.php)   for the proposal form for
sessions, workshops, poster sessions
Can't  find panelists?  Request a CALL-OUT from MPMA.
We will send an eblast for those proposals that need  panelists.  The
eblast will include a brief description of the session or  workshop and the kind
of panelists you are looking for.  Want to be  included? Contact us:

Next Call-Out is January 9th
Bookmark  this date:   October 15-19, 2017
MPMA's regional museum conference is a great place for anyone who  works in
a museum of any kind to get ideas on current practices for their  programs
and buildings. It is where they can mingle with peers, learn about the
latest techie stuff, get the straight talk on current standards, and hear new
ways for reaching visitors of all ages and abilities. MPMA is also a
professional network to help you when the going gets  tough.

Let  MPMA help you create a successful proposal and find the best
panelists.
Contact us about a Call-Out for  you!!!

MPMA: A Ten-State Museum Network
Colorado, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota,  Oklahoma,
South Dakota, Texas and Wyoming

Mark your calendar:
2017 MPMA Conference October 15-19 Denver, CO

Mountain-Plains Museums Association
7110 West David Drive
Littleton, Colorado  80128-5404
303-979-9358