From:
Beth A Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 22:49:25 -0500
I had a similar experience at the Library of Congress a couple of years ago when attending a special exhibit with my toddler in a stroller.  I was told by the guards to take him out of the stroller and leave the stroller outside the gallery for safety reasons.  After unsuccessfully trying to get them to let the stroller in, I took him out.  Since he was able to walk (and run) he presented much more of a safety risk than had he been strapped into the stroller.  I wrote a letter of complaint requesting an explanation for the "no stroller" policy, which was unanswered.  At the time, the ADA ramifications didn't occur to me -- I was just annoyed that I had to chase my child around the gallery, rather than enjoy the show.  I would be curious to know if other museums have no stroller policies and why.

Beth Rubin