Date:
Fri, 15 May 1998 08:49:04 -0700
Subject: Re: Museum Theory
   Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 08:46:55 -0700
   From: Dave <[log in to unmask]>
     To: John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>

Dear John Martinson:

I am responding to your enquiry about 'museum theory' since I am nearby
in Olympia, and I would like to try to answer your specific questions.

I am not exactly certain what your question on museum theory entails and
if you are asking about something that is specific or if you want a
general definition.

I am working in the area of The New Nuseology as defined from ICOM's
1972 Declaration of Santiago, and as further definied in 1992 Quebec
General Conference and 1995 Stravenger General Conference, which defines
museums as community interactive (and co-operative), education-centred
institutions. My particular interests have included outlining and
defining Ethnocultural Preservation, Holistic Exhibition, and Relational
Education as philosophical approaches to culturally appropriate
approaches to museums. I work in the areas of minority and indigenous
museums that address community needs (primarily social, education, and
economic).

Where are you studying for a Master's?

Dave Wells
Quinault National Museum Project