From:
"David A. Penney" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 1996 12:07:42 EST
Jack Thompson:

Thanks for your information and comments about adding closed captions to
existing video programs. The situation seems pretty much as I had expected, but
I wanted to respond knowledgably to our visitors and staff.

Since you're in the business, though, perhaps you can answer another question
for us--how common is it now to include closed captions on material made to be
distributed as recordings, as opposed to broadcast?

Many of the tapes we use are in commercial distribution, but it seems few or
none of them are available in closed caption versions. Do you think this will
change, what with ADA and all? Would it add a great deal to the production costs
if planned from the beginning of a project?

Thanks again!

David A. Penney
Exhibitions Manager
The Baltimore Museum of Art