From:
Sharon Koomler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 20:54:13 EST
I think the initial posting suggested that the letter to the donor would
offer the option of redirecting the gift to another project or returning the
gift. The long and the short is that the institution is not responsible to
figure out the tax consequences in advance of the letter. In fact, we usually  are
advised to steer clear of offering tax consequence advice to our donors.
Ultimately it is up to them to make the arrangements with the IRS and we should
not offer advice. It's too conflictive.

I have appreciated this thread, however, as I think this is a situation  that
many institutions have been in or will find themselves in at one point or
another. It's a little bit like the conversations about appraisals!

Sharon Duane Koomler
Director of the Museum
Shaker Museum and Library
Old Chatham, NY