From:
Lori Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 13:56:58 -0500
 So, now I am really, really curious..... I have visited historic homes all
over the country and been told the beds were shorter because "they" slept
propped up on pillows to avoid various lung ailments, vapors, whatever.  If
"they" didn't sleep propped up?, the WHY ARE the beds so short???  Average
height for humans (in America) has increased just like lifespan, shoe size,
etc., but not THAT much.  Those beds were short, even for me and I am only
5'2".  Somebody on this list just HAS to know this......(fingers crossed)

Lori Allen
Graduate Student, History and Museum Studies
University of Missouri - St. Louis

"Well behaved women rarely make history."
                                  - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, Historian