From:
Lori Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 08:47:03 -0600
David wrote:

"Actually, I've never understood where the term "fanny pack" came from.  It
doesn't seem accurate for either British OR American usage, since it's worn
on the waist, either at the hip or at the belly.  A fanny pack on an actual
American fanny would look pretty ridiculous."

Because it is worn on the fanny.  At least when they first arrived on the
market, we wore them around the waist, slung low, with the pack part riding
across the lower back (or upper butt).  Bicyclists still wear them this way.
They get in the way if the pack is in front. People only turned them around
to the front as a safety issue - i.e. pick-pocketing.

"'Lorry' is one of the first British terms an
American learns, and a couple of English movies usually provide ample
training.  And by the way, I daresay that ALL the Texans I know, know what a
lorry is: so whoever wrote that, watch your hyperbole."

Hmm.  Hyperbole?   As a native Texan, I daresay that with 32 years in the
state, mostly in smaller towns, MOST of the Texans I know wouldn't know what
a lorry is.  Neither of my parents did until 1999, when I told them. How
many non-PhD.'ed, average people in Texas do you think watch British films
(made for the British audience)?  Sure, my college-educated, well traveled
(some Padded) friends in Houston and Dallas know, but travel to the rest of
Texas and good luck.  You'd be hard-pressed to walk into the DQ (that's
Dairy Queen, a small-town "restaurant" to out-of-towners) and ask the women
behind the counter or the farmers having coffee what a lorry is and get a
correct answer.

Lori (not lorry)  Allen