From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 1997 16:31:25 -0400
Claudia Nicholson, [log in to unmask] wrote:

snip
>object is too small (apparently) to number.  Object gets put in small bag
with number on bag.  Object >then goes on exhibit, sans bag.  Object is
stolen off exhibit.  How do you then prove ownership in the >unlikely event
the object is recovered?
snip

One proves ownership using one's accession files. If the object is well
documented with clear descriptive information and perhaps a photograph or
two, and one can document that the object was both on exhibit at one's
institution and no longer in one's possession, then one has proof of
ownership. Your insurance provider will attest to this.

It's not easy to number tiny objects, but I've yet to meet an object so
small that I can't write a number on it somewhere. Although there are a few
types of objects that some registrars do not number (coins and stamps come
to mind.)

Gutenkauf (wearing my Registrars hat today)