From:
Tracey Berg-Fulton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:41:36 -0400
The other thing to keep in mind is that there is often a pre-screening
before it even hits the desk of an HR staffer, especially in larger
organizations (universities, government, etc especially do this). That's
the applicant software itself. Due to the volume of applications, these
organizations can only look at a certain number of candidates, so they use
the software to make their lives easier (not, necessarily, to select the
best applicant.

These software systems are basically skimmers. They look at the language of
the announcement, or the flagged keywords that it has been told to look
for, and scores the application. Applications are then ranked on how many
keywords or phrases matched, and then real humans read the top 10 suggested
profiles or however many they feel like wading through. Note, however, that
most of these systems do have an override, so you can be rescued from the
reject pile based on a recommendation or interaction with a staffer, or
just a really bored HR lackey trolling the depths of the applicant system.
Don't bank on that though. If you encounter a "fill out this applicant
profile and apply for this job with these specific fields" type of site, it
is pretty safe to assume they're using a skimmer software and you should
proceed with caution.

If you're applying directly do someone, in the "send your resume and your
cover letter to person @ museum.org" then you can go ahead and assume that
there's a minimal amount of computer keyword matching going on.

Don't be discouraged, it takes some time to find that right fit. There's a
ton of really great, qualified, talented applicants out there going after a
small number of jobs. It isn't personal, although I can completely
understand how it can feel that way, after having applied for 300+ jobs
during the height of the bad times (ps- don't graduate from grad school in
2008...baaaaad timing).

It isn't you at all. You're completely right in that building a network of
professionals in your area is one great way to either get a job, or to be
recommended for a job, or to have a job forwarded to you. Since you're a
collections person, get involved in the Alliance for Response meeting group
in your area. Start or attend a #drinkingaboutmuseums session for
professionals in your area. Get a membership and get involved with your
regional and/or state museum council (acting on a committee, volunteering
at a conference, becoming a peer reviewer, etc). All of these things help
to deepen your knowledge of the field and also introduce you to the right
contacts who can help you find that position.

Cheers,
Tracey Berg-Fulton
Registrar