From:
Holly Wilhelm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 18:52:02 EDT
Aaron,

I'm a former manuscripts cataloguer with a library degree and am now learning
objects so I'm in the reverse situation.  The museum I work with has been
using PastPerfect since well before I started here (almost three years ago), and
our historical society's research library is mostly uncatalogued because
previous directors had no library experience, and staff was cut 33% just before I
started, meaning I don't have much time to do it now.  But I do some.

PastPerfect has two "modules" that I use for documentary stuff--library and
archives.  The research library's stuff goes in Library, and the stuff I keep
in restricted access goes in Archives, mainly because I don't keep them in the
research library.

I've looked at the MARC conversion module and it seemed to meet the needs for
the museum's purposes; it would be problematic for a circulating collection,
but by definition our stuff isn't, and yours isn't either so it should be
fine.  I did quibble some with some of the
MARC tags when the demo didn't put them where I felt they should, but
PastPerfect has been responsive to all kinds of requests, so they can probably easily
fix that on request.  Since my museum is using an old version and hasn't
upgraded or purchased the MARC conversion package (insert frustration growls
here), I've not needed to make the request.

The short answer is that it should work fine.  At least from my limited
experience.

FWIW,

Holly Wilhelm Mills
Central Virginia