From:
Paul Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 2010 06:29:24 -0800
I read this entry below with interest. Although I have nothing to add to help them I have a question. What discussion has there been regarding mummies and issues such as "ownership", restoration of stolen antiquities, the display of the remains of the dead, and respect for foreign or ancient cultures? I realize there has been a lot but I have not read anything on it. I am looking for feedback on this for several reasons. I have been part of some groups where this has been a concern. Archeologists on the one hand have rules about how to handle the materials of ancient cultures. Museums often want to create displays but these have controversial sides. I am also involved in a project that relates to a burial ground that is merely 200 years old. Some connected have done work to determine the history of the remains but others have objected to how the remains have been handled and feel that even photographs are a cultutal affront. What has the museum
 community established as standards in such matters?