Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 10:48:24 EST
Well. This certainly seems to be an area of personal opinion,
strongly held. Into that danger zone let me introduce a fact:
There is a cluster on this topic in the professional
literature. NEDCC "Technical Leaflet" "Storage Methods and
Handling Practices," for example. Does anyone except me
remember the existence of "professional literature?" Perhaps
not. I am a "Grumpy Old Man," who not only learned how to read
but often _does_! For entertainment and (Unglaublichkeit)
_information_! Of course, such a notion is clearly out of fashion
with the video games generation who - as it becomes increasingly
obvious in following Listservs - are filling the ranks of those
considering themselves "professional." I would consider
familiarity with the professional literature to be a major
indicium of a "professional," even if it does often mean
descent into the realm of _reading_ - _reading_ stuff _on
paper_! Those who do not "are not deserving the respect of
peers. It ought to be a dismissable offense with no prospects
for further employment." Now _there's_ a strongly held personal
opinion; which is solely mine, and does not necessarily represent
the views of my employer.

According to Group Denial: