From:
George Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:40:48 -0800
Rachel,

I would recommend that you protect the paintings in modified sink mats. They are nothing more complicated than book mats, which has a backing made into a tray of the same depth as the painting's thickness. You sink the painting into the tray and overlap the edges with the mat. If you wish, you may add a sheet of Mylar adhered to the underside of the mat for the additional protection. Should you wish to want to prevent the Mylar from touching the surface of the painting, you can make the top mat a double, with the Mylar placed between the two mats.

The advantages of this arrangements are numerous: in addition to preventing the direct handling of the paintings, thare is also good edge protection and if you make the mat a standard outer dimension, you can easily frame the painting for display.

George Schwartz, Senior Conservator
ConservArt Inc

Rachel Roberts <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hello all!  We have some very small (4"x4") oil paintings on board that are handled rather frequently.  They are considered part of our archives collection and are currently stored in acid-free folders with acid-free interleaving paper.  I was considering storing them in 8"x10" or 5"x7" Mylar sleeves.  Can anyone tell me if this is a bad idea (or a good one)?  I know not to store pastels in Mylar but am not sure about oils.  If Mylar or Melinex is a bad idea, can anyone offer any alternative suggestions?

Best regards,
Rachel Roberts

Dallas Historical Society

214-421-4500 x. 110
214-421-7500 (fax)

P.O. Box 150038
Dallas, TX  75315-0038
Hall of State in Fair Park
3939 Grand Ave.
Dallas, TX  75210

www.dallashistory.org

George Schwartz
ConservArt - Master Frame Makers and Art Conservators
http://www.ConservArt.com
8177 Glades Road #16 - Boca Raton, FL 33434 U.S.A.
Tel:(561)482-7292 - Fax:(561)482-6787
mailto:[log in to unmask]

*** Tired of Spam? Checkout Email Defense!

http://www.lanechange.net/html/email_defense.shtml