From:
Katie Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2007 14:54:15 -0400
THE HISTORY PRESS SUMMER INTERNSHIP

The History Press, a leading publisher of local and regional history, is seeking interns for its summer programs in Charleston, SC, and Salem, MA. The ten-week, unpaid program is a fast-paced, structured publishing internship that addresses key facets of book publishing.

Interns will split their summer between two of four areas, spending five weeks with each team. They will work closely with each department to experience book production from beginning to end. Our staff of twenty is youthful and energetic, and will strive to involve interns in the team's work to maximize exposure to the book trade.

The four teams are:

1) Acquisitions and Project Development: Interns will work with our commissioning editors to research new publishing avenues and authors, to pitch new book ideas to potential authors and to contribute to project development between the key points of manuscript delivery and sending a new title to print.

2) Sales and Marketing: As part of our agile sales and marketing team, interns will help create and implement innovative sales strategies for new and backlist titles. This is sales at its most creative: determining the target audience for a title and coming up with elegant ways to reach that audience. Interns will enjoy hands-on experience and gain a well-rounded understanding of what it takes for local and regional books to succeed.

3) Editorial and Production: Interns will help editors and designers with image preparation, research and initial manuscript reviews. They may also be involved with project management, which includes formatting submitted text, proof-reading and preparing industry-standard bibliographic registrations.

4) Publicity and Events: Alongside our chief publicist, interns will draft press releases for new titles and distribute them to a wide variety of media venues. They will set up signings and other author events throughout the east coast for our new titles as well as those on the backlist. They will engage in the process of planning successful book launches.

Candidates should be in their junior or senior college year, or recent college graduates with a strong interest in book or online publishing. A passion for history, natural history or architectural history is a big plus.

This internship is a part-time commitment that requires 20 hours of work a week. The program runs from Monday, May 21, 2007, to Friday, July 27, 2007.

Application requirements: Please submit a resume, cover letter with statement of interest in publishing and in The History Press, and a brief, written reference from a professional or academic source to: [log in to unmask]

In your cover letter, please indicate which of our four listed focus areas are of most interest to you. Please note that 'Editorial and Production' is typically heavily oversubscribed by applicants new to publishing; please read about the publishing industry and consider the many faces of a publishing company rather than focusing exclusively on the editorial process. We will make all attempts at placing interns with their desired teams, but do note that we are not able to guarantee that you will be able to work only in your preferred areas.

Please specify if you would like this internship to count towards school credit and we will make those arrangements after we have placed all applicants.

The application deadline is April 30, 2007.

You may expect to hear from us within 10 days of that deadline, and from the point of acceptance we will provide detail on the logistics of beginning the internship.

The History Press brings a new way of thinking to history publishing: seeking out history and heritage titles that are written by excellent historians capable of making their area of expertise understandable to a wide audience. We hope to play a part in the revival of interest in local and regional history and to form an integral part of a healthy history community.

Thank you for your interest in The History Press.

For more information, please visit our web site at:

www.historypress.net