From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 15:13:39 -0600
Melinda,

We are in exactly the same situation. All of our facilities(lights, water,

power, and all cleaning/maintenance) are managed by the various university

physical plant departments. We have an electronic security access system

that supplements the key based system, which is how we control access.

There are many places we actually want the physical plant to have access.

We have a pretty good relationship with the physical plant personnel, and

they understand our needs for security. The university police department

also has limited access.

Essentially we set it up in layers. All of the major doors in the museum

are magnetically locked at certain times of the day. All of those doors are

also key lockable, and some stay locked all the time. Physical plant has

keys to some of those doors, but they have no access at all after hours.

Our workroom is generally off limits to anyone but staff, and our object

storage vault has only two magnetic keys(mine and the curator). The door

and magnetic key system is attached to the alarm system, which alerts the

university police. It is supplemented by a recorded digital video camera

system.

That system seems to work fairly well, with a couple issues relating to the

specific structure of my building, which I have not yet solved. One being

that one of the doors we do not have access to for fire safety reasons is

actually behind one of the doors they do not have access to. The biggest

part, other than the functionality of the system itself, is communicating

with physical plant and making sure they understand why they need to ask

before accessing certain areas. We do not normally deny them access at any

time, and they understand why we want to know who is where and when.

We have learned the hard way in the past that an entrenched way of doing

things can be intensely resistant to change. You do not want to try or be

perceived as attempting to force them off your turf. Even if you succeeded,

the last people on campus you ever want to be upset with you is your

physical plant staff. A written policy, worked out with their needs in mind

as well as yours, combined with considered discussion with the right people

will go the farthest distance toward your goal.

I would suggest you communicate your needs to the head of your physical

plant as well as your university police (if applicable) before the

installation of your new electronic system(s). Then re-key your locks at

the same time you install the system(s). At that point you have full

knowledge of who has keys/cards to what, and you can begin the process of

weaning your physical plant off full access. In my situation, there is a

certain degree of trust that I am forced to allow, but I also take steps to

try and insure that said trust is monitored. They do not mind as long as

the doing of our job does not interfere with the doing of their job

unnecessarily.

Good luck with your new system.

Mark Janzen

Registrar/Collections Manager

Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art

Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection

Wichita State University

(316)978-5850

             Melinda McPeek

             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]

             discussion list                                            cc

             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject

                                       Internal Security Policy for

                                       University Museums

             03/01/2006 11:49

             AM

             Please respond to

             Museum discussion

                   list

               SE.LSOFT.COM>

Hello,

I am the Collections Manager for a small University Gallery/Museum and

am in the process of writing a security/access policy for the Museum.

Our facility is managed by the University’s Physical Plant which means

that all Physical Plant staff have keys and access

to the Museum and Collections Storage areas and all contract work goes

through them. This presents a huge problem and I am trying to

change this policy. Physical changes such as new locks, swipe card

entry, etc. are in the works, but the larger obstacle is getting the

Physical Plant and University to see that we are a unique entity with

unique needs and that restricted access is standard practice and that

we need to change the existing policy. Are there any University Museum

staff out there in a similar situation and do you have sample policies

you could share in regards to internal access?

Thanks for your assistance,

Melinda McPeek

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at

read "help" (without the quotes).