From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:21:27 -0700
Hi Erin,

When I was at Colonial Williamsburg I had years of experience in
dealing with architectural and HVAC restorations in historic and
reconstructed building with historic furnishings and collections, as
well as museum redo's.

Collections are most at risk during rennovations. So I would advise
that you find a safe, stable offsite storage for your furnishings and
collections during rennovations. This is a major thing but it will
also allow you an opportunity to do some important work with the
entire collection in terms of revisiting cataloguing, research,
photography, conservation etc. Another thing you could do is to
arrange at another musuem or venue to have a significant part of the
collections out on exhibit while the rennovations are being done.

As always when a new HVAC system is installed you really need to give
it time to settle in and to work out any adjustments and issues that
may arise in tuning the system and making sure it is stable. Any time
you change the dynamics of the external envirnment vs. the internal
one with an HVAC system you walk a fine line between the preservation
of the hisotric structure and the collections - so the new system and
the building and the interior environment all need to be heavily
monitored for a time.

Do you have a staff conservator or a consulting conservator on the project?

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator