From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 22:01:29 -0700
As cavalier as it may sound, may I suggest you may not
have done your homework in preparing for your career?

I understand, I empathize, truly I do, but one must
carefully study all the aspects of one's prospective
career before choosing that endeavor.  That includes
market saturation and market salary rates.

As has been indicated before, there is a greater
supply of willing museum professionals than there is a
demand for same.  It's old fashioned Economics 101.
If the demand were greater, salaries might be higher.

Regrettably, they're not.

This tawdry little subject has gone round and round on
this list many times.  In fact, it hits about every
two months or so, if memory serves me correctly (no
guarantees--I'm perimenopausal and anything's possible
to forget!).

I would wholeheartedly suggest that newbie list
members and students on the list seriously consider
searching the archives on this one and reading what
has heretofore been said before chiming in.  There is
much to be learned.

Consider the archives like the list library.  The link
for same can be found in the FAQ noted below.

--- penelope kelly <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> "Salary in the mid to upper twenties."
>
> gosh these salary postings are depressing.  here i
> am, working my way
> through college as a custodian at a high school.
> now entering graduate
> school,i read the job postings on this list only to
> find that after i
> have finished my master's degree i will be able to
> get a job with the
> *same salary* i am now earning as a janitor .. only
> i will owe thirty
> thousand + in financial aid.  wow.  i am eager.
>
> penelope kelly

=====
Indigo Nights