From:
adelheid straten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 2015 20:59:58 +0200
Hi, Patrick, hi Joan,

let me explain my, of course, well-intended post. First of all:  I enjoy
expressing my views in a plain language.  I am trained in art history,
museology and I am publisher of three scientific magazines.*

There are lots of new approaches and techniques for media. Maybe you
find some which also reduces risks. Why not starting a high class
museological blog?  To start scientific magazines of any kind, would
mean a sacrifice for the chief editor and peers. In this particular
field, it seems to me even more than this. Therefore, in Kiersten's
case, I would advise to contact a publisher of her choice.

You are right: If you start a new media today, go online with open
access. But consider: There are still lots of people (which Kiersten
probably would like to define as potential readers)  rejecting any kind
of online reading of scientific texts for different reasons.
Additionally, most museum people are not interested in reading articles
on museum studies and museology resp. topics treated by them. They want
short and useful information, not long theoretical ones with 4 pages of
remarks and references which they will never check. The number of "real"
readers of any such (new) journal will be quite small, and this makes it
more complicated to stimulate potential contributors.

Of course there will be also a language problem to reach all
museologists worldwide, or you have to limit your circulation. The
easiest way is start a media with a compulsive readership, f.e. as the
publication included in a membership fee.

I am also quite in doubt about the will of ex museum studies / museology
participants to follow up the progress of "the trade"; I learnt them to
take museology/museum studies as a useful and not too complicated
university degree, but they are mostly  interested in practical museum
matters. They do not intend to dig too deep into the development of
museological thinking, and most of them will defend their daily practise
based on what is sold by somebody as "best practise". **

As I mentioned, you may find "enough" readers for such a magazine. The
problem is the content. A good structure, good contributions, lots of
offers to choose from etc. The number of "real" readers of any such
(new) journal will be quite small, and this makes it more complicated to
stimulate potential contributors.

Kiersten probably intends to start a media for scientific discussion.
That needs strong and prolific input (keynotes)  and the willingness and
competence of the readers to take an active part in scientific
discussions. Take a look around and try to name just 15-20 prolific
thinkers in museum studies or museology, in their best years, and
willing to step into such an excellent online journal, for years and,
probably unpaid. If you can name them, go ahead.

I have seen the coming and going of quite a few journals set up with
much engagement within the last 20 years, including the "Union of
museologists". They are mostly depending on one person. Lone warriors
asking lone warriors for contribs.

Peer reviewing is an obstacle to most faster published media. It
consumes lot of time of the reviewers, and seems to be a problem for
lots of potential writers, even the best of them ("no corrections please
in my texts!").

Christian

* see
http://www.iic-austria.org/data/uploads/leseprobe.pdf
http://www.museum-aktuell.de/leseprobe/
http://www.museum-aktuell.de/index.php?site=expoTime&TM=5

** For my comments on "best practise" see
http://www.museum-aktuell.de/expoTime/eTime/ExpoTime!-2012-10/index.html
, p. 3