From:
Pamela Sezgin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:54:00 EDT
Greetings!

I am doing some work for a historic site.  One of the buildings is  made of
stone.  It is small -- only about 250 square feet.    There is no dry wall or
plaster inside of the building -- just stones and  mortar.   The building is
currently used as a museum store / ticket  sales office.
It has a concrete floor, and a Siemans HVAC wall unit that heats and cools
the space.

In the winter, there is no mold problem.  The heat takes care of  it.  But
this summer has been extremely damp in Georgia and the air  inside this building
smells like mold and mildew, although nothing is visable on  the interior
walls of the builidng.  Drainage around the building is fine  -- there is no
pooling of water or seepage.

Is there anything that is relatively safe that can be painted on the
interior and/or exterior walls to prevent mold build-up?   Has anyone  on the list
had experience with anti-mold products?
We need something that will be clear and not obscure the original  nineteenth
century stonework.

Our current solutions are to purchase another Maytag dehumidifier [we have
them in the other buildings on the site] to augment the dehumidifying
properties of the HVAC system, as well as to perhaps run the heat from time  to time
-- even though our heat index right now is around 109 and up  daily.

Advice about dealing with mold in stone buildings would be much  appreciated.

Cordially,
Pamela Sezgin