From:
Andover Historical Society <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:50:12 -0400
I would definately NOT reccommend it financially.  I am a curator in a small
history museum in Massachusetts, USA.  I was lucky in that I got a job
before I had finished school in museum studies (most of my college mates had
to wait years).  I started out at $22,000 and now make $26,500.  I have
perks such as free housing, 5 weeks vacation and 3/4 insurance coverage for
my wife and myself.  Also, being a community leader gives you a certain
status unavailable to other professions.  But it is a calling, similar to a
being a minister.  At times I am bitter about the low pay and wish I had
chosen another field.  But I don't dread going to work, like a lot of my
friends, and enjoy the creativity.  Its a hard choice, good luck.
Tom Edmonds, Andover Historical Society