From:
Christine Pittsley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2012 12:52:03 -0500
I was always told that in libraries, height was given first because of the need to determine shelf height for the books. I would imagine the same sort of logic was applied to artwork for both display and storage purposes. For display the height  of a piece would be a more relevant measurement in terms of ceiling height. And like libraries, for artwork or any other object or archival material, height is an important factor in finding storage.

Cheers,
Christine Pittsley