Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2023 20:08:19 +0000
This Week In Global Museum | Celebrating 28 Years Serving The Profession | The #1 Museum Site For Museum News, Museum Jobs, Museum Resources & More! http://www.globalmuseum.org<http://www.globalmuseum.org/>

** Missing painting now part of the National Gallery

In the 18th century, Anne Vallayer-Coster was a well-known French artist—she even painted for Marie Antoinette.

​​

​**  I love the British Museum, but what I’ve learned about the depth of its crisis fills me with dread

First mass thefts, then fossil fuel sponsorship and claims of Soviet-style management. This is how an incredible institution lost its way.

​**  Upward trend in museum visitor figures across UK

Latest data suggests museums are gradually regaining pre-pandemic levels of footfall.

​**  Auschwitz Museum Decries Israeli Mayor's 'Sick' Call to 'Empty' Gaza

"We do hope that Israeli authorities will react to such shameful abuse, as terrorism can never be a response to terrorism."

🧑‍🤝‍🧑 ARE YOU ONE OF THE 4,767?

Our Community on the LinkedIn Platform - Join the Global Museum Social Network – Meet & Make Friends, Share Photos & Videos, Blog, Use the Forum. Become one of our first 5,000 members.  Join Today at http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Globalmuseum-3968927

**  Twelve Museum Innovations in 2023

Dispatches from the Center for the Future of Museums is a museum newsletter like none other, offering far-reaching analysis of emerging social, technological, economic, environmental, and political trends and how they might impact our sector.

​**  Eight clever inventions to avoid havoc in the Te Papa Fish Team

We all need to ‘scale up’ in our careers, so which tools have the Fish Team at Te Papa invented over the years to a) solve the unique challenges of their jobs and b) dazzle international visitors like a show of bioluminescence?

​**  Conservators Find Untouched, Century-Old Fruitcake In Antarctica

Even generations of penguins refused to touch the concoction believed to have been brought south by the Terra Nova Expedition​.

​**  French museum removes Gérard Depardieu waxwork after assault claims

Likeness on display at Grévin Museum since 1981 is removed as allegations against actor are back in spotlight.

Become a Facebook Follower - Join 2.6K of us who Like Global Museum on Facebook -  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Museum/129179522574?<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Museum/129179522574>

**  The U.S. Has Returned 30 Artifacts to Greece—From Byzantine Silver to an Aphrodite Statue​

19 of the pieces were voluntarily surrendered by New York gallery owner Michael Ward and three were seized from British art dealer Robin Symes.

​**  Museums on alert following British Library cyber attack

Sector is urged to tighten security after criminal hack left library severely incapacitated​​.

​**  Will Las Vegas finally get an art museum?

The Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) and the foundation of the philanthropist Elaine P. Wynn have announced an unprecedented partnership to launch a new museum in the city.

​**  Disabilities Histories

As a disabled person, assistant curator Julie Holder is passionate about bringing these stories into her galleries and digital spaces because disability histories are part of all our stories and should be recognised as an integral part of the complex tapestry of being human.

🐦Follow Us On X/Twitter - http://twitter.com/globalmuseum

231.2K Museum News Tweets from around the Globe, 4,657 Followers worldwide and growing

🐘 Having a ‘Musk Moment’? Leaving Twitter? – Join us on our new Mastodon network – 733 Followers & growing fast! https://mastodon.online/@globalmuseum

**  Well-preserved crystallized dinosaur egg fossils discovered in central China

Three crystallized dinosaur egg fossils were discovered in central China's Hubei Province, offering evidence for the study of dinosaur egg-laying processes and the paleoenvironment, according to a local nature reserve.​

​**  British Minister condemns London plague study after MP calls it ‘woke archaeology’

Equalities minister has written to Museum of London over a study that examined plague victims’ ethnicities.

​**  A Bird In The Bush?

Between November 2023 and March 2024, Te Papa Natural History curator Colin Miskelly is walking the length of New Zealand on Te Araroa Trail – counting every bird seen or heard along the way.

​**  The Writing on the Wall: Visitor-Centred Labels in Art Museums

How can museum practitioners leverage the most traditional form of gallery interpretation—labels and text—to connect meaningfully with twenty-first century audiences?

📌 Pin Us on Pinterest. Global Museum's Pinterest Boards - Enjoy!

2.6K Pins, 2.7K Followers -  http://pinterest.com/globalmuseum/museums/

**  Dream of Talking to Vincent van Gogh? A.I. Tries to Resurrect the Artist

Can doppelgängers of the Dutch painter help museums generate new interest and income? A.I. Vincent fields our questions (and makes some mistakes).

​**  Madrid's Prado Museum reveals the hidden backside of art masterpieces

A new exhibition at Madrid's Prado museum is throwing a spotlight on the reverse side of around 100 paintings, letting visitors see labels, seals and sketches that are usually hidden from view.

​**  Stolen British Museum objects were allegedly sold on eBay for as little as £50

An independent review has told the British Museum to close gaps in the registration and documentation of objects following the discovery of thefts from its collection.

​**  5 of LA’s Weirdest & Wildest Museums to Visit

Bunnies, cults, mosaics made from butterfly wings—all the makings of a great art adventure.

🧑‍🤝‍🧑 Follow Global Museum on Instagram | 49 Followers and counting! - https://www.instagram.com/globalmuseum6/

🧑‍🤝‍🧑 Global Museum is on TikTok: Follow us here - https://www.tiktok.com/@globalmuseum

**  Balboa Park Online Collective's Dreaming of AI Webinar Series

BPOC is hosting a new episode of its ‘Dreaming of AI’ webinar series with MUNCH and AI: How the Munch Museum uses AI in Conservation, Collection Management, and in Developing New Audience Experiences on January 29th from 8 AM to 9 AM Eastern Time.

​ ​**  Shaping Transformation. University Collections in a Changing World

Call for Papers. Joint Annual Meeting of ICOM-UMAC and UNIVERSEUM

​**  This Week's Horoscopes

Scorpio: Get ready for a year of unexpected career changes, Scorpio! You'll go from museum curator to professional yo-yo demonstrator, to underwater basket weaver in a matter of months. Remember that every experience is a chance to learn something new. Read the full horoscopes here<https://globalmuseum.weebly.com/horoscopes.html>.

🎁 GLOBAL MUSEUM STORE SALES SUPPORT OUR PUBLISHING 🎁

Discounted Gifts & All Sorts of Museum Gear & Gifts in the Global Museum Store – http://www.zazzle.com/GlobalMuseum

T-Shirts, Cards, Archival Prints, Mugs, Gift Ideas & More …

You Name It, We’ve Got it, You Can Buy It…. For Yourself, For Friends, Or for the Museum Shop!

All the latest Museum News, Views & Vacancies plus Bookshop, Museum Store, Resume Postings, Museum Studies Listing & More.

Global Museum - since 1996.

  .FO OFF

Access the MUSEUM-L Home Page and Archives:

http://home.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-HOME.exe?A0=MUSEUM-L

Unsubscribe from the MUSEUM-L List: