From:
Indianapolis Art Center <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:23:40 -0500
I think it varies from state to state in the US.  Any job in Indiana, for
example, is "at-will" unless there is a contract to the contrary.  However,
the term "permanent" generally refers to a POSITION that will exist into the
foreseeable future no matter who has it, as opposed to a "temporary"
position that will only last for the duration of the project or grant that
requires it.  I don't think any PERSON is guaranteed permanency anywhere,
nor should they be--what's the incentive to work hard if you know that no
matter what you do, you could be dumped?  In practice, most people can stay
in their jobs as long as they are fulfilling their obligations at a high
level and the institution has the funds to pay them to do so.  On rare
occasions someone will be fired in order to bring in someone else.

"Full-time" and "part-time" refer to the # of hours the person is expected
to work and be paid for and can be used either with a permanent or temporary
position.  I don't think the situation is any different for museums than for
the rest of the working world.

Julia Moore
Indianapolis Art Center