From:
Judith Dancoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 2010 14:22:24 -0800
Jerrie:

This BMI representative does not know what he is talking about.  I am an
independent distributor for my film "Judy Chicago & the California Girls",
and have done quite a bit of research about licensing, at least where films
are concerned.  Independents like myself sell the license with the physical
DVD, thus the higher cost for it than DVD's you would buy in a store.
 Retail DVD's are a lot cheaper, but then require an umbrella license to
protect the institution.

If the artist (local musician, etc) is not repped by BMI and his/her music
is not owned by them, than any DVD you buy from the artist is not going to
be covered by BMI's license anyway.   The Motion Picture Licensing Corp.
handles umbrella licensing for large studios, and can probably explain this
better than I can, as well as tell you how to handle the BMI guy who is
clearly doing something fraudulent.    If you want to play the local
musician's work in your museum, just make sure you get something from them
that says you have the license for public performance rights.  They may
charge you for it or may not.  Perhaps you can strike a deal, offering to
sell their DVD's in your gift shop.

Hope this helps.

Judith Dancoff
California Girl Productions