From:
"jerry.symonds" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 2016 17:41:59 -0000
Hi Rachel,

In some organisations, when you take on a new job, you come in at the
minimum level on the band for the pay grade for that job and then
progress up the band by increments, usually annually until you reach the
maximum. However, if you come in with (a lot of) relevant experience you
may be "jumped" up the band a bit!

I am assuming that you are already some way up the band for the pay
grade of your current job? If so, I think what your HR department is
saying is that even though you are applying for a job on the same pay
grade, you would be "new in role" and therefore start at the minimum
level of the range i.e. less than what you are currently earning: unfair
indeed! In your situation, I would hold out for at least the same amount
you are earning now, citing (a) you are already up to speed with
organisation culture and protocols (b) you are a "known" and trusted
individual (c) if an external candidate is offered the job, it will cost
your organisation more in training costs that any differential in salary
and finally (d) can they give you one good reason why there is any
incentive for you to accept a job on the same grade at lower money?

As Dan says, this does "smell" a bit. This should all be transparent, so
if you don't have it already ask HR for a copy of the "salary scheme
rules". Even if they don't circulate these as a matter of course, they
will have them "under the counter" as they need to make sure that staff
are treated equally and fairly and the "maths" is done correctly! Just
asking for the rules may encourage them to revise their stance ;) !

Bon chance!

Jerry