From:
Tori Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2011 16:32:45 -0600
We've had good luck hosting a volunteer "open house." It is publicized
through our web site, our member lists, in our newsletter and through
the media. We have one weekend day where we invite anyone who may be
possibly interested in being a volunteer to come and see what all that
means. Then we describe what some of their duties are, have different
staff members come by to say how important volunteers are and why, give
a brief tour, sometimes behind the scenes, offer light snacks, etc.
Basically we want them to know how valued volunteers are, what is
expected of them, and how they can help the organization.

I also agree with a "job description" of sorts, to specifically let
people know what being a volunteer means.
Good luck!

Tori Mason
Historic Farm Manager
Nashville Zoo at Grassmere