From:
Pamela Silvestri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:56:42 EST

This post is a challenge to respond to, particularly since I have no
knowledge of the heritage laws, etc.,  in BC. I know the Arch-L list may be  able to
assist further. Consulting with archaeologists in your region is  very
important as is developing awareness/education of archaeology.

Still, I have several comments/suggestions. First of all I commend you for
searching for what is right and ethical and in your efforts to preserve the
archaeological heritage of this site.

It is my opinion that your museum should not accept the artifacts that  were
left at the door. The main reason for not accepting them would be that the
artifacts should belong to the landowner. This would be the case according to
most State and Federal laws in the US and for private land ownership. If that
holds true in BC then you should turn over the artifacts to the FHTSS on
behalf  of The Crown. Or better yet - have the person who dug them up do this.

This would be an opportunity to educate the 'pothunter' about archaeology
too - if you are able to contact this person to have them retrieve their finds
and ask them to turn them over to the rightful owner. I know you  wanted to
speak with this person before they went out treasure hunting, but  there still
may be some opportunity to do this.

You also don't want to encourage this type of occurrence - would be another
reason to not accept these artifacts and you need to make this known. As you
know, even lacking the laws that prevent this type of digging it is
none-the-less destructive, the artifacts have lost meaning since they've been  taken
out of context. Also, most below-ground archaeological material needs to  be
cared for when taken out of the ground (or even before). This is especially
important for organic material. Textiles will start to disintegrate when removed
from the matrix and exposed to a different environment.

You are heading in the right direction with developing guidelines/policies
in governing the use of public information. Law or no law, the treasure hunting
 that occurred/is occurring was/is a destructive activity and your museum
should not support this type of activity.

The appeal of many ghost towns are the above ground structures and most
ghost town enthusiasts are respectful of preserving these sites. Lacking the
above-ground remains, what does remain of the site, below ground, is of more
interest to the treasure hunters. But knowledgeable 'ghosttowners' do promote
archaeological resources too and they could support your efforts.

You may want to reference some archaeological excavations/investigations
from the American West that have revealed valuable information. I recall that
there have been some interesting sites that have been excavated in the Reno and
Carson City, Nevada regions. Archaeology can support and supplement written
documentation and in many cases, it is  archaeology that emerges as the  sole
record of events/activities.

At the very least, gravesites for Fairview should be identified and
protected - but clearly, if not a full-scale archaeological excavation (which is
destructive too), a professional survey is warranted to try to preserve the
archaeological integrity of this site. If I am correct to assume that Fairview  was
a boomtown related to mining activity - these mine shafts should be
identified and stabilized too. Mine shafts can be very dangerous for people and
wildlife. If a pothunter opens up a shaft - this could cause a change in airflow
that can adversely affect the stability of adjacent shafts.

As a wildlife preserve - having all the holes strewn about from pothunting
is not safe for wildlife either! Pothunters rarely refill where they've dug.
And  their activities may otherwise be disturbing wildlife habitat.

Also, some of these holes may contain artifacts and features that are
exposed. An archaeological assessment can salvage these remains and at the very
least, the destruction should be 'restored'.

The FHTSS, acting on behalf of the owner (The Crown) in  stewardship of this
land, bears this responsibility and in light of recent  pothunting activity,
some immediate action is warranted.

There is obviously a lot of interest in the site and probably a lot of
people who have done less than adequate 'investigations' - but even they may be
able to contribute to the preservation of the site. Enlisting their assistance
may be a way to educate them about the use proper methods, etc., and the value
 of for doing this. Many times, these individuals do have information that
they  can contribute and I'm sure they would be glad to if they're assured it is
for a  good cause.

Now you say that the site has, "some degree of heritage  significance for the
community" - what I'd like to encourage you to do  is promote what
significance that is known and never mind about the 'degree' of  significance. The site
is significant for the community and highlight  whatever documentation you
have to support this. And if you 'dig' deep enough  into the written records -
even more significant details are going to emerge.  But some 'significance' is
still unknown and is that which may only be revealed  via the archaeological
record and/or to support the written records.

It is also important to document the vandalism, so if you or someone else
can photograph the destruction - this is essential for supporting your efforts.
And of course, any 'significant' information/interpretation of historical
records is essential too.

Back to the issue about public information - it just so happens that you  had
prior knowledge about what the information (map) was going to be used for.
What if the woman hadn't shared information about why she wanted the map?

Well because she had, you did have the opportunity to 'intervene', though
that didn't pan out. The opportunity you had was during the phone call. Why you
didn't is understandable because you would be expressing your opinion, and
not  that on behalf of the museum? Perhaps you felt you would have felt more
free to  do so in person, is my guess. You are right of course to not want to
encourage a  destructive activity and what amounts to vandalism (whether illegal
or not). And  it seems at odds to consider that a destructive activity
(vandalism) could be  'legal' which leads me to believe there must be some law there
that governs  this. But then again, enforcing it too is another issue. Still,
your museum can  develop some guidelines so that you can properly (and
officially) address these  situations.

Your museum/archives should not condone this destructive activity and the
most important stance that can be made at this point is dealing with the
artifacts that were left. The request for the map and the paper bag containing
artifacts is an example that some policies/guidelines need to be considered. If
you still have the paper bag - take some pictures of it alongside the artifacts
 and the map even.

Fairview is certainly not the only ghost town in BC of this time era and I
would wonder what has happened to others? If you haven't already, please
research what has been done for these other sites. Even ghost towns that still
have above-ground features/remains also have archaeological remains.  How are
they protected?

Some websites for information about ghosttowns:  _www.ghosttowns.com_
(http://www.ghosttowns.com)  , _http://nvghosttowns.topcities.com/_
(http://nvghosttowns.topcities.com/)

Pam

In a message dated 12/14/2006 5:03:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,