Date:
Tue, 25 May 2004 17:49:37 EDT
Re-enactors can really make an event. They make a wonderful addition to
museums and the programs they offer to the public.  However, once you pay one or
even once, you will be expected to pay again and again and again.  If money is
tight, be careful not to get yourself boxed in on this issue because you will
be setting a precedent for the long haul.  It will not only get expensive for
your museum, but also for your museum neighbors who will also now have to pay
because you paid.  That can make your neighbors very unhappy with you.

Here are some of the ways I have dealt with the issue:
1. I would always let people know that money was tight and that there was no
budget for re-enactors. This seemed to work most of the time, but the requests
for payments would still come pouring in before an event.  It was only during
periods of budget cuts that I could legitimately say there was no money and
everyone would believe me.
2. I sometimes paid a re-enactment group a nominal fee for doing an event.
That actually worked well.  And believe me, the fee was low.
3. The one time I paid actors (note: not re-enactors) to play the prominent
roles in a particular program turned out to be a bad thing to do.  All the
re-enactors then asked for payment even though they had minor roles with no script
to learn.  I thought the re-enactors would see a distinction between actor
and re-enactors, but they did not.

Monta Lee
(Ms.) Monta Lee Dakin, Executive Director
Mountain-Plains Museums Association
7110 West David Drive / Littleton, CO 80128
303-979-9358 / fax 303-979-3553

Explore Wyoming in 2004 when MPMA hosts its annual meeting in Casper,
September 7-10, 2004. Join us as we trek to Yellowstone, Wyoming Paleontology,
historic forts and the national historic trails. Plan to spend your Labor Day
Vacation with us!