From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2015 11:48:48 -0500
Hi Wanda,

New technology is always fun and exciting but you have to ask yourself the
question - how can technology help us tell our story, especially in ways
that we can do this ourselves?

First off, technology comes with a cost to implement and upgrade. If you
are trying to recreate the look a feel of a WWII house, projectors and UV
lights are going to be intrusive and distract from the WWII era
furnishings. There are ways to hide projectors and lights but that will
take money and modification to the house. Is that in your budget? Do you
also have the money not only for the equipment but for maintenance and
upkeep? Specialty lightbulbs can be really expensive.

Instead, I'd look at your exhibit and see how you can first enhance it
using "low-tech" ways. Instead of projecting newspaper clippings, how about
having a book of them or replica newspapers or letters for people to read?
Those are relatively cheap and easily available. You could have a place
where people could write notes to local servicepeople who are deployed,
which could be collected and sent to them as a way to tie the exhibit in
with today. What about a bin of "trash" and have kids sort through what can
be used for scrap or reused and what really would have been considered
trash. Or you could have a replica book of stamps, a list of things the
family needs and ask visitors to see what they can buy with their stamps.
Or set out what a typical family might have for a week's worth of food and
ask people to see how many recipes they can create with it.

There are also phone apps you can develop where people can access extra
content on their own cellphones. These can be as easy as creating QR codes
to additional resources either on your own website or linked to another
website or you can create a downloadable app or dial-in app for people to
use. These are cheaper than

If you want extra ambiance, you could have a radio with an mp3 player in it
where visitors could listen to clips of radio programs and news reports.
Those are fairly easy to do and set up.

That would be my suggestions.

Best,

Deb Fuller