From:
Timothy Vitale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 22:51:10 -0800
SOHS Collections Department wrote:

> How do you manage your collection of framed photographic portraits?
> (I'm talking about photographs that are in their original frames...like the
> wonderful gilded frames).
Keep them together, but by all means have a Photograph Conservator look
at them.  Look on the
Cons DistList for literature; see below
 Mail submissions to [log in to unmask]
        to [log in to unmask]
 DistList Archives: All instances of the DistList are available
        (both for browsing by whole items and searching for individual
        messages): http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/
 The ConsDir is available at the same site.

To learn how to select a Conservator and obtain a referral, contact AIC
at URL:
<http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/aic/>.

> Do you keep the original image in the frame?
Yes, unless there is a problem with the frame, mat or mount.  Ask a
Conservator.

>Do you make an archival copy of the image? (Say for use in your library)
Not a bad idea, but not needed if you have other more pressing
conservation needs.

>Do you separate the image from the frame and store them separately?
Not unless this needs to be done for the reasons above.

>Do you re-mat the photos in their frames but with archivally sound backing
> material? I'm curious. I'd also like to know if your perspective is that
> of a curator, librarian/archivist, conservator, and so forth. I'm sure
> there are varying opinions on this question. Thanks!
They might need to be rematted, reframed or otherwise, but this depends
on the
historic nature of the mount its ability to destroy the photograph and
many
other factors.  At least call a Conservator!

To learn how to select a Conservator and obtain a referral, contact AIC
at URL:
<http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/aic/>.

Timothy Vitale
Paper and Photograph Conservator
& Preservation Consultant
408-684-2731 office
408-335-2541 studio, afternoons and eves
408-684-1847 fax