Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:26:16 -0700
Just a suggestion with no intention of offense to anyone.  If/when you folks go to career days, please be honest with the kids at salaries and job expectations.  If I understand career day, it's to expose children to the various jobs that are done across a myriad of fields to broaden their horizons and give them options as to which careers they may want to choose in the future.

  There's not a one of you, I'm sure, that isn't doing something wonderful.  But the children need to understand front end that a) it takes a lot of education (expense), b) jobs are not easy to come by, and c) most jobs that can be had do not pay well in comparison to other career paths.  The children need to understand that you do it, in large measure, for the love of the job and not the money.  The job isn't going to buy the newest personal computer, game system, MP3 player, fancy new car, or big house.

  I am not suggesting in any way at all that you discourage folks from going into the profession.  I am just suggesting you give them the opportunity to do it with their eyes wide open.  There are ways you can temper this message based on age, but what I am hoping is that we don't wind up with more disillusioned young people who didn't find out until they were already invested in the field that, while you may be dealing with the cultural riches of the world, the career is probably not going to garner personal wealth.

  Again, I am not trying to insult anyone.  I just think the kids deserve the big Da Vinci.

Emily Brunell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Are you representing musuem professionals or executive directors?

The school I'm working at just had a career day and some of the presenters were too limited in their scope to really benefit the kids--pehaps it would make as much sense to share with the students the scope of job opportunities within the musuem field.

Emily

  On 3/27/08, Diane Hutsell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:      I've got another question for the list.....I've just been as to do a short program for one of our schools career days tomorrow. How would you all explain what you do on a daily basis (especially the Executive Directors out there) to children that is accurate, but interesting?

Diane

  Diane Hutsell
Executive Director
McMinn County Living Heritage Museum
PO Box 889
Athens, TN 37303
423-745-0329
www.livingheritagemuseum.com

========================================================= Important Subscriber Information:   The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes).

========================================================= Important Subscriber Information:   The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes).   If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes).