From:
Ann Trowbridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 12:51:21 -0500
Noelle --

The amount of humidification capacity needed will depend on the climate and
on the construction of the building and storage room.  A good mechanical
engineer would be able to advise you on the size and type of mechanical
equipment needed and on the level of humidification achievable without
damaging an existing building.  If you tell me more about the project and
its location, I may be able to recommend someone.

If your collection and your building are valuable, I would seek professional
help.  Also, if the current environment of the art is different than the new
one, you may need a conservation expert's advice to avoid damage from a too
rapid change in T or H.

If you are working in an existing building that does not have a vapor
barrier (as is the case with the majority of older buildings and more recent
buildings constructed for general purposes), you may not be able to increase
the humidity to 40-50% without damaging the building itself -- especially in
a climate with relatively cold and dry winters like New York's .

Without a vapor barrier to contain the humidified air inside the rooms, the
point of condensation where moist, warm indoor air meets colder dryer
outdoor air will likely occur inside the exterior walls and roof structure
of the building on cold winter days (an architect or mechanical engineer can
calculate this).  If the walls are masonry, you may see evidence of this in
spalling of brick or stone (chipping off from condensed water freezing and
expanding inside the masonry).  Many types of insulation lose their
effectiveness if wet.  If the condensed water rusts masonry anchors or rots
structural elements, you may be creating a hazardous situation as well.

You may be able to build a humidified room within a larger unhumidified
building and avoid the problem -- or live with somewhat lower RH as many
museums and libraries in older historic buildings do.

Ann Trowbridge, AIA