From:
Harold Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 07:36:58 -0500
The finest example I have seen on several continents is at the International
Antarctic Centre in Christchurch, New Zealand, a most interesting place
jointly operated by the Kiwi, US and French governments (I hope I didn't
leave anyone out!).

When you enter the exhibits area of the Centre, you start off in a large
very cold room. simulating very well the Antarctic ice. The wind howls,
you're BLOODY cold and, if you have the staying power, the lighting cycles
through the 24 hours of an Antarctic day at (as I recall, but I may be
wrong, mid-summer). This is used to orient you "to the ground".

It is an absolutely superb setting/experience, produced (I think) by a
Melbourne company.

The then-director was concerned that his museum did not adequately address
the role of Christchurch as the jumping-off place for Antarctica. His vision
was to do a mockup of the interior of the fuselage of a Hercules transport
aircraft, which visitors would enter via one of the side fuselage doors and
then be treated to a simulated take off and very much condensed flight to
Antarctica, during which they would see an orientation video. On "landing",
they would exit, via the fuselage ramp, onto the "ice" of the cold room. A
brilliant concept; I wonder if it was ever carried through?

Harry