From:
Marielle Fortier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 08:30:26 -0400
Joshua,
  When I worked as an intern a while ago, I had the pleasure to learn all
about ethafoam, hot knifes, tyvek and glue guns.  I stored numerous axes,
spears, maces, and other types of odd sized tools using this method.
Starting with a thick plank of ethafoam I traced a rough outline of the
object (make sure not to mark the object in the process). Then using the hot
knife I then carved out a cavity to hold the object.  Use in a well
ventilated area, as the fumes of the ethafoam can make any collections
manager loopy. Once my form was made I used hot glue to hold tyvek to the
ethafoam (to create a softer surface).  Once finished the object was laid
into the perfect fitting form and either stored on a shelf or put in a box
(either pre-made or custom).

Another approach without making an entire form would be to make a custom
mount using ethafoam covered with tyvek to hold the weight of the object
while supporting the object at strategic points.
All of these items can be found at University Products.

This all depends of whether or not you have the space to store large/long
boxes.  I have also seen tools like this stored on a wall with padded hooks.
My feelings is that gravity will at some point have its effects and that may
not be the best type of long term storage.

Hope this helps.

Marielle

Marielle Fortier
Museum Registrar