From:
Chuck Preston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 2009 10:45:31 -0600
There are more avenues for outreach than we usually have staff.  Thus,
it's important to choose the ones that best fit your resources.

Some of the successful programs I've overseen in this and other
institutions are:  outreach trunks (with teaching objects, a/v, etc.)
with or without accompanying presentations, after-school mentorship
programs (in natural history museums, these often involve field-based
activities), museum sleepovers for specific schools/classes, school
speakers-bureau of museum staff and volunteers.  One of the most
popular, successful, but labor-intensive programs I've been involved
with was a statewide school outreach program, whereby we obtained state
funding to send outreach vans to school districts throughout the state
to present object-based programs.  We targeted specific grades, as I
recall, and had a regular "curriculum" of visits . . .visiting each
enrolled school once per week for the 6-8 weeks.  After the first two
grant-funded years, various school districts picked up the tab.

Hope this is helpful.

Charles R. Preston, Ph.D.
Senior Curator
Draper Museum of Natural History
Buffalo Bill Historical Center
720 Sheridan Ave.
Cody, WY 82414
307.578.4078

To find out more about Science and Nature programming at the BBHC, visit
www.bbhc.org <http://www.bbhc.org/>  and explore Draper Museum of
Natural History