From:
Derek Weil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:26:59 -0400
After reading these comments, I wonder if I have been greatly blessed, or cursed in my education and museum career. My interest in the field began as a college intern. I quickly learned the "realities." Our director was a retiree earning 25k/yr., and our curator with 7 yrs. experience earned 21. This somehow did not daunt me. I was naïve enough to think if I could make it on 12-15k as a student, I could continue to do so on 25-30 as a professional.

This line of thought led me to graduate school, because on some esoteric level I knew deep down that I wanted a graduate degree. My museum studies professors did nothing to delude me about the field. They were both formerly actual directors of actual museums who knew what life was like. Most of our discussions focused around the struggles of early career professionals and/or small museums. Yes, they have no money. Yes, you will do everything. That appeals to me, and I think it does or did at one time to almost everyone on this list.

I enjoy finding inventive, low-cost solutions to big problems. I like getting my hands dirty. As a Collections Manager I'm also a janitor, carpenter, painter, mover, and forklift operator. Where else could I enjoy such a diversity of experiences? Where else could I feel so drained and yet so vibrant? There was a reason we all chose this field, and there's a reason so many of us "burn out." There is no shame in that. It could very well happen to me. This may be but a small portion of my life's journey, but I for one want to make the most of it.

Derek Weil