From:
Robin Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:31:07 -0400
I have to agree with Debbie and go one step beyond. I think that if you
look closely you'll find the same "glut" of graduates in many fields.
Just for fun log on to the Chronicle of Higher Education and read about
the job hunting experiences of those with PhDs in a wide variety of
fields.  Their comments all echo those that have been voiced on this
list. Too many grads, too few tenure track positions (big trend toward
adjunct), too low salaries, people scraping together a living by
teaching three or four courses as adjuncts for less than they would make
at a fast food chain. And these are not just humanities PhDs.

I also must add that we have a number of volunteers and interns who are
now receiving pay checks from us. Volunteering and interning is still a
great way to make connections and to have your work/skills known to
those in a position to hire you if a job becomes available. Networking
is key. The best advice I ever received was from a woman who was the
president of one of our Friends groups. The advice was in direct
response to how to find a publisher for my book, but I've since found
that it actually works for almost anything - figure out what you want to
do and then TALK TO EVERYBODY. This includes your hairdresser, your
banker, your doctor, the person you are seated next to at a wedding
reception. You never know who might know someone who will be in a
position to assist you.

Good luck to all you job seekers.

Robin Campbell, PhD
Supervising Curator