From:
Mark Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 20:31:26 -0600
Carrie,

I can chime in on a few of the areas you mentioned. Where I work we have
frequent special events and have come up with a few hard-learned lessons
that are now rules and regs.  All of the events occur in an area where there
are occasional exhibits, but for the most part are empty (non-formal gallery
spaces).  Here are a few I can think of off the top of my head.

1. We allow NO open flames at all.  This is spelled out clearly in the
rental policy.

2.  Floral arrangments are sometimes acceptable if they are removed promptly
after the event.  If they remain after the event they are removed to a safer
location.  (i.e. away far from any artwork or anywhere artwork is handled or
stored for any length of time). The pontential damage live plants, and the
associated pests that call them home, can cause require close scrutiny if
not an all out ban.

2.  We do not allow exterior doors to remain open for any prolonged period
of time.

3.  The limit on group size is dictated partially through fire code.
Otherwise it depends on input from myself (registrar), a curator, and the
events coordinator.  Open lines of communication and a reasonable and a
sufficient number of security/museum staff need to be present.

4.  Never underestimate the potential for damage.  Take any and all
precautions you think are necessary, even if they seem ridiculous at the
time.

5.  I have requested a calender of all future events from the events
coordinator.  This helps in planning for necessary staff, manipulation of
exhibit spaces, etc.  Knowing in advance what is coming down the pipe is
often times half the battle.

Hope this helps somewhat.  The list above is by no means specific or all
inclusive, but may offer useful suggestions.

M.Ryan
Registrar
Plains Art Museum