From:
"Panza, Robin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 09:16:34 -0500
>>>>From: Tom D. Bennett [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
If any of you ever manage to get to the Napa valley, which I strongly
recommend even if you don't imbibe, nestled between Napa and Sonoma is a
beautiful winery called Domaine Chandon.  <<<<

The nicest place I know for wine-tasting is Ballard Canyon Winery, in Santa
Barbara County (CA).  They don't have a tour of the facility, but the
tasting "room" is at picnic tables under the oaks.  Relax, enjoy truly fine
wines with the balmy breeze and the warm sun, enjoy the view....

My dissertation was with wild (not wild-type) fruit flies, and my field work
consisted of getting a few friends together, stopping in at Birkholm's
Bakery in Solvang (a Danish community) for pastry and coffee, and heading to
Zaca Mesa winery to set out traps.  Once the traps were out, we'd sample
their wines (take their tour, too, if I had someone new in my crew) and then
hit a couple of other wineries for their samples.  The next day, it was a
new crew, back to Birkholm's, try a few other wineries, then stop at ZMW to
pick up the traps.

The in-lab research was hell, but the field work was sublime!

former Santabarbarian,
Robin K Panza
Section of Birds, Carnegie Museum of Natural History
4400 Forbes Ave.
Pittsburgh  PA  15213  USA
phone:  412-622-3255
fax:  412-622-8837