From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2007 13:39:11 -0800
I was employed with Pittsburgh's original Buhl
Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science
[1939-1991] from 1982 to 1991, in several different
capacities including Planetarium Lecturer.

During the entire time, classical or easy-listening
music [usually instrumentals] were played as "walk-in,
walk-out music" for each of our planetarium shows.

During much of the time I was employed with Buhl
Planetarium, well known pieces of classical music were
used for these times just before and just after
planetarium shows. My understanding is that classical
music was the tradition for the planetarium, during
these times, since Buhl Planetarium's opening in 1939.
In fact, in the beginning, live organ music was used
during these times, and sometimes during planetarium
shows.

However, sometime during the mid-1980s, the "music
police" showed-up. As Buhl Planetarium was a
not-for-profit agency playing centuries-old classical
standards, no one had even thought about licensing
arrangments.

From then on, we had to only use music that had been
specially licensed for the planetarium shows.
Regrettably, this ended the long tradition of using
classical music in the planetarium.

gaw