From:
T Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2013 08:27:19 -0400
The 4th gen iPad uses an LED backlit "IPS" display.  These are indeed subject to image persistence per Apple (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5455) as are all LCD displays.  Though the official line is that such images won't "burn in," if you are running only one app all the time "persistence" is effectively the same thing from a functional point of view.

As for burning out the iPad electronics, sure, that's an issue, but I'm more worried about the screen persistence which will begin within days if the screen is static for hours every night with no visitor. I would prefer an automated routine for sleeping, but see no suggestion that this is possible without jailbreaking the iPad or attaching it to an external control computer.

My intention with a screen saver would be to custom design the images to blank the screen for most of the time with a periodic "refresh" built in to eliminate ghosting.

Cheers,
              tod