From:
Marc A Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2016 10:42:05 -0400
Leslie,

I did a furniture conservation treatment project for a major historic house museum in the mid-south that involved every piece of furniture in the house in perhaps 15 round trip moves (untreated furniture to my studio in NH, treated furniture back to them) spaced over several years.  Over the first three trips with two different fine art moving companies (well-known at that), pieces were damaged on two of the trips by two different companies.  On one trip, they broke the top off of a high-posted bed!  Our final solution there was for me to do the transportation myself.  There was zero damage after that.

My experience with a number of fine art moving companies is that they are companies.  Fine art handling is a special skill.  It is not remotely related to household moving.  If you get an actual fine art handler as part of your two-person (generally) crew, you will probably be fine.  If you get two behemoths that can lift cars if necessary (unless, of course, they are fully trained/experienced art handlers), maybe there will be problems.  That is where the trouble lies in my personal experience.  The companies hire based upon low cost in many cases.  Their in-house training is not nearly adequate to turn out art handlers, nor do they have experience in the myriad ways that creative and safe packing can be used.   In addition, the hired guns are mostly there to make a paycheck, and do not have the degree of care and concern that the owner generally does.

So my suggestion is to work with the principals of the company if possible - at least one should be involved in every move of the furniture.  This may be difficult with the best-known companies unless they are based in the Boston area.  So, perhaps locate a smaller company in your area that is a true fine arts handler who will be happy to provide a principal. Or perhaps you can find one who is an independent operator rather than a "company."  It is possible, although you would have to check, that a fine art handler at one of the larger Boston museums would moonlight on your project.  When I was at the Museum of Fine Arts, one of theirs was doing just that and eventually left to found Fine Arts Express.  With due diligence you will find someone who will successfully move your furniture.

If you are talking about the furniture from 400 beacon Street, I have personally seen and photographed every piece of furniture on a project for the church.  Much of that furniture is upholstered and some is rather decorative.  I would suggest that every piece first be covered by a large 1-mil (very thin) polyethylene furniture bag.  I get these in two sizes to fit most everything - sofa, and tall chest.  This will protect the surfaces from dirt or debris that may be on the packing blankets.  Good luck!

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016