From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2014 08:54:47 +1300
Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your award-winning & free online compendium,
read weekly since 1998 by 8,000 readers in more than 201 countries.

***   " I love Global Museum! I pull stories for my weekly email to our
docents and they enjoy them too. My colleagues even asked to know where I
found them because the stories are so interesting. " - User Feedback   ***

Four Pages of the Latest Museum News & Free Online subscription.
http://www.globalmuseum.org

**  Is there a future for the traditional museum?

Museums represent the last gasp of high culture in an age where showiness
and novelty and thinness - even in the arts themselves - threatens to
overwhelm us

**  Optical trickery brings Rothko's paintings back to life

The idea was to illuminate each mural with a pattern of light that would
project the missing aspects of the lost colours onto the original canvases,
returning them to their original hues without disturbing the paintings'
textures

**  Museum Audio Tours Match Your Mood Using a Mobile App

Launched earlier this month, the app features a collection of guides that
present visitors with pieces on display that correspond to a particular mood

ARE YOU ONE OF THE 3,193?

Now on the LinkedIn Platform - Join the Global Museum Social Network - Meet&
Make Friends, Share Photos & Videos, Blog, Use the Forum, Join A Group.

Become one of our first 4,000 members.  Join Today at
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Globalmuseum-3968927

**  Spared in war, Italy's 'greatest picture' saved again by benefactor

An Italian Renaissance masterpiece that English novelist Aldous Huxley once
described as "the greatest picture in the world" was saved from destruction
in World War Two by a British artillery officer who defied orders to shell
the town

**  Unique 3D glimpse of the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel

For the very first time Ultra HD 4K/3D cameras film inside the Vatican
Museums and the Sistine Chapel, to show the masterpieces in these
collections as they have never been seen before

**  At 9/11 Museum Gift Shop, the Tchotchkes Are Made In Asia

In a museum and monument intended to celebrate American resilience and
sacrifice, is it problematic that the I Heart N.Y. mugs are made in
Thailand, the American flag scarves are stitched together in India, and the
officially sanctioned FDNY and Metropolitan Transit Authority toys assembled
in China?

**  Putting art reproductions in their place

An even better idea is to fill the London museums and galleries with
reproductions, distribute the originals throughout the UK and let the
"fetishistic" Londoner visit Inverness to see those original Rembrandts for
a change

_______________

Follow Us On Twitter - http://twitter.com/globalmuseum

120K Museum News Tweets from around the Globe, 4,071 Followers worldwide and
growing fast

________________

**  Five UK museums where you can find theatre exhibits

Seizing on the popularity of 140-character to-and-fros held for a day by
museum and gallery curators and supporters, this Twitter mini-festival aims
to go behind the scenes

**  In Turkey, the Arts Flourish, but Warily

Today, cultural figures describe a climate of anxiety and self-censorship
because the government's standards for what it considers offensive keep
shifting

**  When Mother Nature Stops Being Maternal

The exhibition examines just four phenomena - earthquakes (and associated
tsunamis), volcanoes, tornadoes and hurricanes

**  Shock horror: why art's so obsessed with the grotesque

The grotesque has staying power because our life as beings of flesh and
blood has not changed, and so long as we have bodies, we can experience body
horror

_____________

Become a Facebook Follower -  Join 1,896 of  us who Like Global Museum on
Facebook  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Museum/129179522574?

_____________

**  The end is nigh for Auckland Museum's critters

Auckland Museum is disappointing some of its younger patrons by "retiring"
its menagerie of live creatures - partly because of welfare concerns

**  Can campus galleries save the art museum?

University art museums are proving capable of realizing the ideals that
other art museums espouse in facile mission statements

**  Washington Gun Law Leads Museum to Remove Rifles

A small museum in Washington state is removing World War II-era weapons from
an exhibit to avoid having to comply with a new voter-approved law requiring
background checks on gun transfers

**  Museum Catalogues Finally Trade Paper for Pixels

Publishing scholarly collection catalogues is a critical part of a museum's
mission, yet printed volumes are costly to produce and difficult to update

__

Pin Us on Pinterest. Global Museum's Pinterest Boards - Enjoy!

926 Pins, 256 Followers http://pinterest.com/globalmuseum/museums/

__

**  The faces of prehistoric humans revealed

She wore clothing made of hemp, fur and nettle and jewellery of ivory and
bone, and she was a looker

**  Asian Art Museum takes on colossal quake problem

The ancient Arabian sandstone colossi on display at the Asian Art Museum
have remained remarkably well-intact for more than two millennia, but in
present-day San Francisco, the 8-foot-tall, top-heavy figures are one strong
earthquake away from certain ruin

**  Bottled body parts stolen from Siriraj Museum

It was revealed that a foreigner involved in the scandal has a controversial
background in the hard-punk sub-culture in the United States

**  Imported Glass in Japanese Tomb Identified

A dark blue dish and a clear painted bowl recovered together from a
fifth-century tomb in Nara Prefecture are evidence of Japan's far-reaching
trade networks

__

Add Us To Your Google+ Circles - 91,733 in Circles.  3,780 in Community so
far - https://plus.google.com/109387399901726606466

__

**  Feature Site - Shelf Life

A research collection is a place of discovery; you can walk around the
corner and see something no one's quite observed that way before

**  An Inclusive World: Bridging Communities

Queens Museum, NY

**  Vision-Hong Kong International Poster Triennial 2014

Hong Kong Heritage Museum

**  Palaeontologists Determine Dinosaurs Were Killed By Someone They Trusted

Our findings indicate that someone, we don't know who, spent at least 150
million years gaining the confidence of dinosaurs before abruptly betraying
them and taking their lives near the end of the Cretaceous Era

All this and more for you at Global Museum - See the latest museum JOBS,
PINTEREST PINS, BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, HOT JOB TIPS, great people posting
their RESUMES, SOCIAL MEDIA, the GM LinkedIn Network, Museum Accredited
Courses - New Site, New Opportunities!  http://www.globalmuseum.org.